HOW TO GET A SOCCER COACHING LICENSE
The US Soccer Federation, the governing body for soccer in the US, offers coaching education courses at every level for soccer coaches. Educated coaches help to deliver a positive playing experience for young athletes and a more enjoyable experience for themselves. Read each course description to determine the best fit for you.
Grassroots Pathway: (coaching ages 5 – 12)
A). New Coaches: The grassroots courses are the first step in the newly revised pathway to becoming a licensed coach. Use the US Soccer Learning Center to register for the three required grassroots courses:
- One online course: 4v4, 7v7, 9v9 or 11v11 (20 minutes to complete)
- Two in-person courses - 4v4, 7v7, 9v9, 11v11, one of which must be the 11v11 (2-4 hours to complete per course)
B). F & E Licensed Coaches: Coaches who have already completed the former E or F License courses are required to complete the following prerequisites to be able to register for the D License.
- F License = Must complete Introduction to Grassroots Coaching Module (online) + 2 in-person license courses (11 v 11 & one other - 9 v 9, 7 v 7 or 4 v 4)
- E License = Must complete the Introduction to Grassroots Coaching Module (online)
D License: (coaching ages 13+)
Once the Grassroots coaching courses are completed, coaches can apply to take the D License Course. The D course consists of two course meetings and a development period:
- Course Meeting 1: Three days onsite with full group
- Development Period: 6-8 weeks in home environment with assignments and mentoring
- Course Meeting 2: Two days onsite with full group
Please visit https://learning.ussoccer.com/coach for more information on these and other coaching licenses.